Common causes of lumps and neck masses
- Strep throat
- Viral infections
- Tooth infections
- Tumor (cancerous or noncancerous (benign))
- Goiter (abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland)
A lump or neck mass can be fairly common in adults; it is your body’s way of telling you something is wrong. A mass can also be the result of cancer that has spread from somewhere else in the body, but it can be difficult to determine the underlying cause unless you see you’re your Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) specialists for diagnosis.
If you do discover a mass on your neck or develop swollen glands, your ENT can determine whether or not there is cause for concern, or if it is just the result of an infection. With diagnosing cancerous tumors, like other cancers, early detection is essential to your health, wellbeing, and treatment, as is for any neck and throat issues.
Symptoms to look for
- Unexplained voice changes
- Unexplained weight loss
- Sore throat
- Difficulty or pain swallowing
- Difficulty hearing and/or ear pain on the same side as the mass
- A lump lasting longer than 2-3 weeks
- Fever higher than 101 degrees
Cedar Crest Ears Nose and Throat believes patients should get a diagnosis and evaluation as soon as possible so they may begin treatment.
If you have a mass in your neck, we will want to know:
- Have you been ill recently?
- When did you notice the mass in your neck?
- Do you smoke, or have you smoked in the past?
- Do you have a family history of throat and neck cancer?
- Are you experiencing soreness in other places in your mouth, tongue or throat?
- Do you have any sores on your scalp, neck or face?
- What medications are you taking?
- Do you have any chronic medical issues such as diabetes or high blood pressure and/or allergies?
If you feel a mass in your neck, or any of the symptoms listed above, it’s important that you schedule an appointment with Dr. Theodore H. Gaylor, at Cedar Crest Ear, Nose and Throat, 610-770-9797. Patient Info & Forms.
1251 S. Cedar Crest Blvd, Suite 110
*Adult and Pediatrics * Allergy Testing/Treatment * Neck Lumps
*Head & Neck Cancer * Chronic Sinus * Sore Throat
* Post Nasal Drip * Ear Disorders * Hearing & Balance
* Hearing Aid Sales & Repair * Sleep Apnea * Snoring
* Swallowing Disorders * Voice Disorders* Thyroid Disorders
Serving the Greater Lehigh Valley Area
The Gift of Sound: How to get your loved one to wear a hearing aid