Considering sending your child to summer camp, but are worried about their seasonal, insect, food/gluten allergies or asthma? Your fears may well be warranted but, with the right preparation, you can send them off with confidence.
Camp allergy prep tips
- Consider one of the plethora of specialized food allergy- friendly camps for your child who has a food/gluten allergy and/or vegan.
- Ask the camp how they deal with emergencies and what procedures do they have in place.
- Find out where the closest hospital is and how quickly they can get your child there.
- Consult with your ENT/allergist/gastroenterologist about sending your child to camp so they can also provide a plan to share with the camp.
- Make sure all shots and/or prescriptions are current and get supply of medicines for camp.
- Give your child a medical alert ID bracelet.
- Before sending your child off to camp, make certain the camp’s staff is aware of your child’s allergies and asthma.
- Be sure the medical staff knows about your child’s medications.
- Report which activities, if any, may be difficult to engage in due to asthma.
- Teach your child to advocate for themselves. If your child has food allergies, teach them to be vigilant about potential allergens.
- Your child should also make sure friends know about their allergies/asthma and are able to help.
- Talk with the kitchen staff about how they handle cross-contamination.
- Be sure your child always carries an epinephrine auto injector or asthma inhaler and spares.
- Warn your child not to touch plants that can cause an allergic reaction, such as poison ivy, oak or sumac (depending on your region); teach them how to recognize these leaves/plants.
- If your child is allergic to insect stings, they should notify someone immediately if stung. Remind them to wear long sleeves, pants, and closed shoes when engaging in outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, playing ball, etc.
Our trained staff performs testing and diagnosis in a comfortable environment.
Cedar Crest Ear, Nose, and Throat Services
1251 S. Cedar Crest Blvd.
Adult and Pediatrics * Allergy testing and treatment * Ear disorders
Hearing and balance * Hearing aid sales and repair * Head & neck cancer
Sleep apnea/snoring * Swallowing disorders * Voice disorders
Sinus Disease * Thyroid Disorders * Lump in the neck
Chronic Stuffy Nose * Sore Throat * Post Nasal Drip
Serving the entire Lehigh Valley